Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day 1. How You Got Converted?

Tedwin

To the folks reading, I have no idea which anime series really converted me to an anime lover. I’m sure it’s through a series of circumstances that happened in my life that made me into a huge anime fan.  In the very beginning, I didn’t even know I was watching cartoons called anime. These early animes series like Dragon Ball Z, Sailormoon, and Pokemon were just cartoons I looked forward to watching every day. I am sure it is the different drawing styles, action scene, music, and continuum storyline that were so attractive and lacking in western cartoons. Next thing you know, I wake up every Saturday morning just to get my filled of my favorite cartoons…which are anime series. Nostalgic memories of Digimon which I believed were way better than Pokemon, Yugioh which also got me so addicted to the card game,  etc. Only thing that really pisses me off is reshowing the same thing over and over again….like give me new episodes jeez. When I had cable for a bit….Toonami introduced me to various other anime with teen themes and they are mainly 90s anime like Tenchi, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop. At the time I didn’t know but one can see the major differences in animation quality compared to early 2000s anime and especially to the most current anime …but I didn’t care cause anime is hard to come by. 


I have to say my eldest brother basically introduced anime through his dvd collection of Gundam Wing and I just want so much more after that. By now I basically knew the difference in the cartoons I was watching.  I was glad that my library carried some anime titles that where actually complete so I went through that real quick. My addiction came to be once I got internet and discovered Youtube before it got popular. People upload whole series and this is also the time I'm used to subtitles and Japanese audio and that was my standard for watching anime for now on. Air tv and Full Moon o Sagashite were one of the anime series I watched on Youtube. In addition, I feel that my sad lifestyle while I was a student in middle school/ early high school made my habit of using anime as an escape from my misery. It is what saved me from going into the dark side literally and I am forever grateful. Eventually, companies caught on and demand the removal of my love from Youtube and I had to seek elsewhere online to feed my addiction. I found different sites and thank god I did…and I started collecting as I watch like Naruto, Bleach, Eye Shield 21, D. Gray-man, etc. Collecting was tricky cause how else one was supposed to hold them but thank god for advancement in tech. I went from CDs, to DVDs, and now to HDD. But I kept breaking them and had to start from scratch. Now the HDD are getting cheaper and bigger so I can hold definitely more and get more...thank the lord.
I basically worship anime now….must watch it and I will never grow out of it. It is funny because my parents keep saying cartoons are for kids…they just don’t understand that some titles has some serious dark themes to it and adults can enjoy some series.  The power of anime is huge…introduce a different culture and language, inspiration and empowerment from lessons, interest in sports/hobbies, area of profession, etc. It can be a form of learning tool really LOL. I hope my experiences are relate-able to you guys.

T-Na

My very first anime would have been Pokemon, however, at the time I did not know of anime. When I first got introduced to anime, I was not much of a fan of it compared to manga. I was always in and out of the anime world - mostly watching dub versions of the classic (Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Pokemon) on TV. Aside from those, I was completely not interested in anything else. Ah, the child me was very bias and was unwilling to try anything new. I remember watching subbed version of Naruto for the first time because I could not stand waiting for the next episode. It was horrible! I couldn't even finish the episode and I remember telling my brother how the voice was so weird! *Laugh* Now, I can't even imagine watching anything dubbed. 

It was not until Tedwin recommended Toradora! that I began to actively engaged in watching subbed anime series. Yup, this series will always have a special place in my heart. The reason I watched it because I was trying to humor Tedwin but after the first 2 episodes, I was hooked! The voice did not bother me as much (probably because there wasn't an English version for me to compare it to) and the characters were just so cute! I honestly haven't watch anything like this before so I had no idea how it was going to end. I end up finishing it within a week because I kept re-watching all the cute, heart-warming scenes between Taiga and Ryuuji ^///^ 
I'm surprised I haven't re-watch this in such a long time. It is one of the sweetest school life romantic comedy ever! And you know I'm very picky about romantic comedy anime. This is was my first step to all of the other romantic comedy such as Ouran High School Host Club, Hana Yori Dango, and all the other famous RC out there.


“Despite Ryuji Takasu's gentle personality, his eyes make him look like an intimidating delinquent. Class rearrangements on his second high school year put him together with his best friend, Yusaku Kitamura, and his hidden crush, Minori Kushieda. Along with these two comes Kushieda's best friend, Taiga Aisaka. Her delicate appearance contrasts with her brutal personality. Secretly in love with Kitamura, Taiga agrees to help Ryuji with his love interest as long as he helps her get closer to hers.” - AnimeNewsNetwork

No comments:

Post a Comment