Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 3: What to Look For in an Anime?


Tedwin
Anime is awesome…..what can I say. However, not all animes are created equal. I say it really comes down to the directing and the team’s collaboration in the production...of course, all done in a timely manner. Please watch Shirobako to learn what I mean, they do a good job illustrating how an anime is produced….and the outcome matters. And DONUTS!!! YUM

Shueisha publicará una novela basada en Shirobako
~ Aoi will never forget how she felt the day her high school animation club's labor of love was shown at the cultural festival. The sense of awe and the feeling of accomplishment that came with completing their very first project are exactly what encouraged Aoi and her club mates to enter the animation industry in the first place. But two years later Aoi has graduated, and now that she works as a production assistant for a big-name animation studio, the daunting reality of her job has somewhat diminished her enthusiasm. Despite the long hours and the punishing schedule, Aoi still hopes to fulfill the promise she and her club friends Ema, Shizuka, Misa, and Midori made: to one day reunite and make a real animated feature of their own as professionals! (Source: Sentai Filmworks)

 Sorry for being off topic but I want to do a little introduction to my answer so I can help you guys understand where I’m coming from. OK, getting back to the question at hand…ahem…LOL. I look for a progressive story when I watch an anime…that is the biggest piece that will provide enjoyment. Without that foundation, the whole anime will flop into a matter of a few episodes because no one wants to waste their time. Of course with an amazing existing story that makes sense, quality character development will follow.
The other minor thing I look for is aesthetics. The animation should look good and pleasing to my eyes. I mention that it is a minor thing because I will still watch the anime if the story is amazing. Just think of classical animes from the 70s, 80s, or even 90s. Hell, some anime in the early 2000s needed some work….no matter if the drawings are outdated, one can still enjoy it.

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis Rage of Bahamut Genesis anime key visual ...
[Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis] In my opinion, is one of the best looking anime for Fall 2014 with a decent story and action.
Nausicaaposter.jpg
[Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind] Now here is a classic with a good story.

However, it doesn’t work the other way around….I saw one anime that was a few seasons ago since the date of this post…amazing animation from P.A Work but it sucked balls. It is called Glasslip and it have beautiful character designs and awesome background….just perfect animation quality but that's about it. There were no story what so ever; characters were barely developed….I made myself finished it because I was one episode away from completing it and been trying to convince myself that everything will be answered in the end. I cringed once it ended cause I want my time back….how dare they tricked me into watching this shit.

There you go folks, go watch anime for the right reasons LOL. Enjoy!! Comment below to let me know your thoughts on what to look for in an anime.

________________________________________

T-Na
I’m not sure about this question. Is it asking me what do I look for when I watch an anime - like how good the story is? Or is it asking to describe an ideal anime with qualities I would like to see?
Let me just assume that they are asking about what I look for when I watch anime.
I believed I went over a little on this in my rating system....guess I’ll elaborate more here.
This is listed in order of importance: 

1. Story:
    This is basically what keep the whole anime together. There MUST be a story to keep me interested. For me, I would prefer a strong story line but what is more important is: are they sticking to the main story? There’s a good kind of confusion in anime and then there’s the bad kind. You know, the ones where you entered wondering what’s it about and when you finished you’re still left wondering “What was THAT all about?” I don’t mind sub-plots as long as it relates back to the main plot.

2. Characters
    I prefer strong protagonists but that’s just my preference. I know Tedwin loves the flawed types that change over time. I don’t mind the overuse of similar villains and protagonists but at one point, it’ll get boring and overrated - at least give me some fresh supporting characters! I love deep characters with rich, developed background. Yup, the characters must leave an impression! So yeah, characters are important and it is one of the things I look forward to in an anime. Ah, also characters interactions. Big fan of bromance btw ;]

3. Animation:
    I used to be very bias toward the art work; only watching anime that have awesome animation and colorful scenarios. However, Tedwin convinced me (yet again) to give some of the weird looking ones a try (Nobunaga Concerto, 7 Seeds) and, most of the times, they turned out to be amazing!! Now, I’m less likely to be bias against the animation....hehe old habits are hard to change...^^;

4. Bonus: Music, Fashion/Character Design, and Voice Actors/Actresses.
    These are not important but I count them as bonus when I do my rating *lol* Although it does not seem much but I believe the voice of a character also help shape their personality and give life to that character. The animation can give you only so much expression, most of the feelings you get are from their voice...well, at least that is what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment